Monday, December 27, 2010

Are Dominican Blowouts Healthy?

There are many advantages to getting a Dominican blowout and dominican hairstylists have gained increasing popularity here in the US. Many Black women and women of other nationalities with fine to coarse curly hair have been  very pleased with their results.

Dominican hairstylists usually use really big rollers in order to minimize the time the customer spends inside  the hair dryer. Also this helps the hair come out straighter and less curly since the hair is not being spun around the roller as many times. Using large rollers helps people with short hair because it comes out straighter and it suffers less heat damage.

Dominican hairstylists use a blowdryer most of the time to straighten the customers  hair instead of a flat iron or other  straightening tool. This can take anywhere from 30mins.to 1 hr. depending on your hair length and texture. Meaning that the hair may suffer from heat damage.

When I used to get my hair done at the Dominican hairsalons  it would always have many split ends from brushing it so much while styling.  When I stopped going to the salon my  hair I did  not have not one split end. Also it would get dry from exposing it so much to the heat from the blower and hair dryer for such long periods of time. I recommend  leaving some special leave in conditioner or other moisturizing hair product in. Moreover the constant pulling from the round comb would break my hair. Dominican hair salon stylists are known for pulling hair. This caused me to have broken hairs along my hairline that naturally would not occur.

If  you like to let  your hair naturally curly constantly getting it straightened whether with a perm of simply with a blow dryer WILL damage your natural curl pattern. Something to think about. Dominicans are good at  getting hair pin straight but NOT managing curly hair. That is not what Dominican hairstylists are experts at.

For many years I never  understood why my hair didn't curl as much as other Spanish girls when it was wet. I had never gotten a perm, my mother never allowed me to. Something I realized when I stopped going to Dominicans hairstylists is that for the first time I had to  learn how to manage my natural hair. It was a bit tricky at first but over the years I have found  the best way to treat my  hair. My hair became curly as opposed to wavy as a result of this,  because it grew into its natural hair pattern. Also I learned how to best define my natural hair pattern  using Dominican hair products that are made from natural fruits and scents such as coconut, avocado, rosemary, cinammon...etc. Also I quickly learned that Garnier Fructisse is my best friend. Nothing helps detangle my  hair faster than Garnier.

Many Dominican hairstylists from my experience frown at natural curly wet hairstyles saying it will damage the hair but I would rather leave some  quality leave in conditioner or  moisturizer in my hair and let it dry naturally than go to the salon.

So are Dominican blowouts  healthy? It depends, if you go too often it can cause heat damage from extended exposure to high temperature.There are issues such as breakage, damage to  natural  hair pattern,  dryness, split ends, and many more.

I almost forgot to mention this, for the  women with very coarse hair going to a Dominican hair stylist  would  be better for you than using  a hot comb, and a perm. It is  more healthy to  let your hair  dry with rollers under a dryer and no perm. I would definitely recommend a Dominican hair stylist if straight hair is what  you  are going  for.  Lastly, to  have straight hair you  don't need  a perm. Many women with coarser hair realize this after going to a Dominican hairstylist for the first time and seeing there hair become manageable, tidy, and behaving without the use of a hot comb, or  perm.  

The Dominican blowout is a fairly new thing which started when blowdryers came out. Before then Dominican women would wrap their hair in rollers, keep them in until they would dry naturally. Their hair still managed to have bounce, body, and be healthy.                                                                

No comments:

Post a Comment