Monday, December 6, 2010

superficial is subjective

I don't think its superficial to take care of yourself and buy yourself nice things. I know people who have commented that I am superficial because I like to buy clothing, sneakers, bags etc occasionally that I consider to be cute. I don't believe that is superficial. Now if I allow those material things to define me then yes it would be. I like to wear makeup, paint my nails and other girly shit because I genuinely think its fun. Yes I do believe in natural beauty  but certain things are not naturally beautiful such as dark circles under your eyes, women with uni-brows or mustaches, obesity, love handles, Humongous moles, and long nose hair to name a few. But these are all in my opinion, I'm pretty sure there are people out there who become heavily attracted to a female or males  based on these qualities. Sometimes a little make-up in the correct spots does go a long way. I mean just look at Oprah for example. (I didn't mean that as an offense.)

Sometimes I buy nice things as a reward for myself because I reached a goal I thought was really difficult to reach or never thought I would reach. In that case I don't mind buying something expensive for  myself that I would regularly not get. I do celebrate myself, and encourage myself because frankly I know most people do not have my happiness, emotional and mental health as their number one priorities in life.Taking this into account I'm not going to stop being taking care of myself because what is superficial to one is normal to another.

I remember my grandma would buy herself a  nice gift for her birthday or every so often and I didn't understand why she was buying herself gifts but it makes perfect sense now. And no it's not superficial. It's just another way of loving oneself. Some people think being on the extreme end of the natural  spectrum is the way to go. I met people like this in college. Their hair was always nasty and greasy from  not washing it, they had disgusting acne, ugly nails, ripped up clothing, smelled like ass-crack, never showered or wore deodorant. If that makes you happy, and this is how you demonstrate love for yourself GO FOR IT.  But please refrain from talking shit about me because I do not engage in those decadent activities. I graduated in May and have been meaning to do something nice for myself. I' m still weighing my options. But you see, I don't feel that whichever option I choose makes me superficial.

Also I am not going to change any of those things about myself to make someone else feel comfortable. Mostly because the people who talk criticize and hate the hardest are the ones who eventually come to my side. I mean I'm not a label whore I'm a bargain girl. If I can find something I have wanted for a long time at a good bargain I am going to  buy it. Many other people share this mentality. I don't believe this makes me materialistic unless I was frequently spending money buying new garments. Frankly, I just think some people are so insecure they don't know what else to do with themselves except to talk shit. To a large extent I do believe that people who hate do so because on  a deeper level they have low self esteem and are jealous. And my experiences confirm this. If being superficial means trying to look my best, feel confident, in control of myself, liberated, and content with my life............then I am the most superficial bitch you will ever meet!!

No comments:

Post a Comment